Sridevi passes away at 54 due to a massive cardiac arrest
Bollywood legend and an icon, Sridevi, has passed away at the age of 54 in Dubai. It is said that her death was due to cardiac arrest. Many people, including those who knew her, refused to believe that she died when news spread last night. Sadly, it was the truth and she passed away at 8pm in Dubai. No other details were given and released in public. The family hasn’t even released an official statement yet. Bollywood legend and icon, Sridevi, passed away due to drowning that was caused by a loss of consciousness while she was in the bathtub.
26/02/18 @ 11.46pm – Statement released from Boney Kapoor’s Spokesperson
Boney Kapoor, Jhanvi, Khushi & the entire Kapoor, Ayyappan and Marwah family is deeply bereaved and shocked with the untimely loss of #Sridevi Kapoor. They thank the entire media for their prayers, support and sensitivity during their time of grief. Late #Sridevi Kapoor’s body will arrive in India tomorrow. We’ll update you on further info as & when it’s available to us. Request you to kindly reach out to us on everything related to this & we urge you to please not call the family for info on the same. : Boney Kapoor’s Spokesperson
Her husband has been picking up calls from Bollywood people and journalists to confirm that Sridevi has indeed passed away. It is truly shocking and we are sure many people are feeling numb after hearing this news. Her brother-in-law, Sanjay Kapoor, spoke to journalists as soon as he arrived in Dubai this morning. He said he is in shock and that Sridevi‘s family had no history of heart disease.
“This was shocking to all of us. We are still in a state of shock and are heartbroken,” said Sanjay Kapoor, the younger brother of Bollywood producer Boney Kapoor and Sridevi’s brother-in-law. He arrived in Dubai following news of Sridevi’s passing.
“She passed away in the hotel itself. There was no heart problem she had that I was aware of,” he said
The latest updates from Dubai, courtesy of KhaleejTimes, Times of India and Hindustan Times:
- Bollywood actress Sridevi passed away in her hotel room in the Emirates Towers, Dubai at 11pm on Saturday, a source in the Indian Consulate in Dubai revealed.
- She reportedly had a fainting spell in her bathroom and was immediately rushed to Rashid Hospital in Dubai. Sources in the Indian Consulate stated that she was brought dead to the hospital.
- “Her mortal remains were handed over to the forensic department,” the source added.
- Sridevi‘s body was brought to the Dubai Forensics Department in the early hours of Sunday morning in an ambulance. Updates from sources in the forensics department have revealed that she was not taken to a hospital but directly moved to forensics at 2 am Sunday morning.
- About 19 hours after her death, Sridevi‘s body is yet to be handed over to her relatives as the autopsy is yet to be completed. The chief doctor conducting the autopsy has now left the laboratory even as some lab tests remain to be done.A team of doctors continues to conduct the autopsy, and only once the autopsy is complete will the body be shifted to the Muhaisna embalming centre before it can be flown out on a private jet to India.
- Officials have revealed that Sridevi‘s autopsy has been completed and the family is now awaiting laboratory reports conducted by the General Department of Forensic Evidence, Dubai.
- Officials informed Khaleej Times that as per usual protocols, these tests take up to 24 hours in the case a person has died outside a hospital in Dubai. The same safety and administrative protocols are being followed by the police in this case as well.
- Sridevi‘s body will not be released on Sunday night, authorities have confirmed.
- Officials at the General Department of Forensic Evidence, Dubai, have confirmed that actor Sridevi‘s body will remain in the UAE for another night. She is likely to be flown back to India on Monday. Completion of laboratory tests, immigration procedures, administrative protocols, embalming and paper-work at the prosecutor’s office are expected to continue for another night. Once completed, her body will be repatriated to India, where her funeral is expected to take place at Pawan Hans at Juhu, Ville Parle, Mumbai.
- Times of India report says forensic report confirms heart attack as the cause of Sridevi’s death. Official sources in Dubai say there was ‘nothing suspicious’ about the manner of her death.
- Forensic pathologists found nothing suspicious about the manner in which Sridevi died.
- Sridevi drowned in her bathtub following a cardiac arrest, the report has confirmed.Social workers are working with the family members to complete the procedure of repatriation – the cancellation of passport, issuance of death certificate among others.Once all the documents are collected, the family members will be handed over the body after submitting the documents.The family is hopeful that the body might be ready for repatriation within next one hour.
Official Cause of Death:
They found traces of alcohol in her body and this may have led to the accident. “The investigation is still going on to determine the circumstances surrounding the accident as the forensic report only says that she drowned,” an official told Gulf News.
The police are trying to piece together the sequence of events and find out who was with her when the incident happened.
UPDATE – 27.02.18
Family releases statement regarding funeral procedures and where the public can come to pay their condolences:
On behalf of Khushi, Janhvi, Boney Kapoor, the entire Kapoor and Ayyappan families, a sincere thanks to the media for your continued sensitivity and support during this emotional moment. Well-wishers can pay their condolences from 9.30am to 12.30pm at Celebration Sports Club, Garden No 5, Lokhandwala Complex, Andheri West. Media can also pay their respects “provided camera, recording devices, etc are left outside the venue”. The last journey will commence at 2 pm from Celebration Sports Club to Vile Parle Seva Samaj Crematorium and Hindu Cemetery. The cremation will take place at around 3.30 pm.
Her stardom and what she has managed to achieve during her time as an actress is proof with all the condolences messages and tributes pouring in from all around the world. It was said that she stayed over in Dubai to be with her sister, Srilatha. There are reports saying that her husband was also there with her, as he flew back to Dubai after having returned just a day before with his daughter, Khushi. But SpotBoye said that this is not true at all and Boney was not by her side when she passed:
SpotboyE.com has it that Sridevi asked Boney to return to Mumbai after Mohit Marwah’s was over.
Our source told us that the legendary actress told her husband that she just wants to have a short holiday, no specific reason per se.
For now, all speculations and coincidences surrounding her death are going to be put aside. There’s just too much going on. What her daughters must be going through? What Janhvi must be going through? She chose not to go to the wedding because she had rehearsals to go to. What a shock that must be for her. Sridevi went before getting to see her daughter on the big screen.
This is truly truly shocking. It’s even more shocking because Sridevi wasn’t an actress in exile, she was everywhere. Right before her death, she spent time with her family and friends at Boney’s nephew’s wedding, which was held in Dubai. It must be truly shocking news for the newlyweds as well. Hopefully, her two daughters get the right emotional support to go through life. They were both very close to their mother as she was closely mentoring them to prepare them for their debut.
With over 300 films to her credit and 50 years as an actress, Sridevi has managed to touch the lives of many people, especially the ones who grew up in the 80’s and 90’s. The last film that she shot for was a special appearance scene in Shah Rukh Khan‘s ‘Zero’. That might be her last appearance on the big scene, her talent will always be around and will never cease to exist in the hearts of her many fans and Bollywood fans as well.
When you feel for the death of someone you never knew on a personal level, that shows how deep she touched your life without even knowing. Such is the power of a true performer, a superstar!
To the lady, who made Bollywood watchable in the 90’s:
Rest In Peace. May you find the ultimate happiness and peace that you have been searching for your whole life. May your soul rest in peace. God Bless.