The Khannas: Rajesh Khanna, Dimple Kapadia, Twinkle Khanna & Rinke Khanna
Known as the first superstar of Indian cinema, Rajesh Khanna breathed his last breath on 18 of July 2012. 2012 hasn’t been so good to him, he was sick prior to his death and spent a lot of time at the hospital. But still, he appeared in an ad for fans (ceiling fans) and his own fans were shocked at how skinny their beloved superstar has become.
Rajesh Khanna’s life has not gone by smoothly. He struggled for some time before making it in the Hindi Film Industry. But soon after he did really make it, he turned into an arrogant actor who later on couldn’t take in the fact that another actor was taking his place in the industry. And that actor was none other than Amitabh Bachchan.
Despite being in a live-in relationship with his girlfriend of many years, Rajesh Khanna broke up with her and shocked everyone in India by marrying Dimple Kapadia, who was a teenager and newcomer in the film industry. The marriage had its ups and downs as well, which ended in Dimple leaving Rajesh and taking her two daughters with her. Dimple then went back to films and she did so with a bang! Rumour has it that she had/has an affair with the much-married Sunny Deol. During the few months that he was alive and not well, Dimple moved back to their home to take care of him.
Married for 11 years, Rajesh Khanna and Dimple Kapadia have two daughters, Twinkle (Tina Khanna) and Rinke (Rinkle Khanna). Both Twinkle and Rinke decided to try their luck in films, but they didn’t have the same luck as their parents. Twinkle left the film industry when she married Hindi film actor Akshay Kumar. Rinke too stopped acting as soon as she tied the knot with a businessman from London. Twinkle has a son Aarav while Rinke has a daughter. It was rumoured that Rajesh Khanna bought a car for Rinke with the money that he got from the fans ad.
For a short while after his separation with Dimple Kapadia, Rajesh Khanna dated another young actress named Tina Munim. You might know her as the lady who is now married to one of India’s richest men, Anil Ambani. They have two sons together. Back to Rajesh Khanna’s love story, it was rumoured that while he was still married to Dimple Kapadia he started working with Tina Munim in many films including ‘Fiffty Fiffty’, ‘Souten’, ‘Bewafai’, ‘Suraag’, ‘Insaaf Main Karoonga’, and ‘Adhikar’. Rumour has it that the two of them fell in love, which resulted in Dimple Kapadia leaving him for good. But when it came to marrying Tina Munim, Rajesh Khanna refused to do so as he thought he will get back with Dimple.
On a lighter note – Now that Rajesh Khanna is no more, here’s a look at how he will fare in the after world.
Facts about Rajesh Khanna
- He was adopted
- He changed his name from Jatin to Rajesh
- He was a finalist in the 1965 All India Talent Contest organised by United Producers and Filmfare, topping over 10,000 contestants.
- He had 15 consecutive solo superhits between 1969 to 1971, which is still an unbroken record in Indian film history
- During the peak of his career he would be mobbed during public appearances. There was so much mob hysteria surrounding the actor, with female fans making a beeline for him, kissing his car, leaving lipstick marks and cheering and chanting his name.
- He received a lot of letters written in blood from female fans.
- He made his entry into Bollywood by participating and winning a talent contest, which he landed after beating actor Vinod Mehra.
- Rajesh Khanna married Dimple Kapadia six months after her debut film ‘Bobby’ was released.
Facts Courtesy of TOI