Know More on How to Repair a Leaking Car Sunroof
Repair a Leaking Car Sunroof
If you notice that your car sunroof is leaking, you must check it first whether it is really because of leaking or something else. Normally leakage through your car’s sunroof happens due to dirt, debris and leaves obstructing the drainage tubes or the drain channel of the sunroof’s water management system. After sometime, the water will ultimately seep through causing leakage through your car’s sunroof. Below are some of the steps to be taken in repairing leakage from your car’s sunroof.
What you need:
- Cleaner (for example using ArmorAll Window Cleaner)
- Thin tube
- Thin wire cable
- Wet soft cloth
- Coat hanger
- The first thing you need to do is use a damp cloth to wipe your sunroof periphery or the channel around the opening of the sunroof. This will help remove all dirt, debris or leaves obstructing the periphery thus creating openings allowing water to go through.
- Next, check the draining tubes found at the corners of the sunroofs whether its outside has any materials blocking it before you go further to check for more clogs or obstructing items.
- You can also use thin wire on the drainage by pushing it to feel for any clogs inside the drain. If there is any, slowly rotate the cable before pushing it further down to feel for more obstructions.
- Then, pour some water inside each of the drainage system and then you observe the movement of your sunroof drainage ensuring that the water flows properly rather than leaking inside your car.
- Other thing to check is the rubber lining of your sunroof whether it is wrinkled which may cause the loosening of its air tight seal while the sunroof is closed. To do this checking you need to open the sunroof to see whether the seals are wrinkled or not. If it is wrinkled, you need to lightly extend, align its lining to its original place and position it properly. You should also wipe around the lining and its inside area.
Finally after you have tested that the entire sunroof’s drainage system has been cleaned and adjust accordingly, you have to maintain the cleanliness of your sunroof’s exterior and interior using a glass cleaner. This should be done periodically and regularly once you enter fall season when there are lots of leaves and debris on your car roof.