Going Green – How to Buy Electronics
You can recognize green electronics easily as they use less energy than the traditional models. By buying green electronics, you are helping the environment by reducing carbon wastes. At the same time, you can cut more on electric bills and save more money by using green technologies. Green technologies are longer in usage and works even more efficiently.
- Choose electronics with energy efficiency rating. You have to make sure that the item has gone through a certification program to determine its energy efficiency. For example, you can check for Energy Star, Alt Energy labels and 80 plus.
- Purchase tech items from manufacturers that support green electronics. Current initiatives from electronics manufactures such as Sony, Apple, Kodak, Gateway and Sharp producing green electronics can be among best options that you can choose from. You can visit Green Electronics website for more complete listing.
- Locate stores that sell green electronics near your area. Verdant Computing and Nuvo Technologies sells eco-friendly computers and other electronics items.
- Check out the additional environmental certifications held by the green electronic product. Additional labels which include RoHS complaint and Repurposed. RoHS Compliant products do not contain toxic or harmful materials. A repurposed product means that the gadget is designed to be refurbished or recycled at the end of its lifecycle.
- Recently, EPA has started an initiative to allow manufacturers to register their green electronics products. EPEAT label shows that the product has been gone through the assessment process.